Friday, October 2, 2009

Tough loss...gotta play the next one!

Last weekend was a tough loss. We expected that it would be a hard fought, tough, violent football game...and it was! I have heard all week that it was a great game to watch, and I am sure if we had won, I would feel the same way. In spite of that feeling of having your heart ripped out of your chest, we battle on!

We had an excellent week of practice. I know I have said it before, and I'll say it again...this group of kids that I am lucky enough to coach, are awesome! They were bummed about last week, but responded with a great (and fun) week of practice. We even had a OL vs DL field-goal kicking competition. I didn't realize that Matt Strubhart could toe-punch the ball with such force...he would have been good from 40 yards out!

So we loaded the bus for our road game. We stopped in Rochelle, IL, for some pizzas and then again in Madison, WI. But that was for a walk-through in Camp Randall Stadium on the campus of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Our kids walked around and saw the monuments and read the plaques about the history of Camp Randall and the evolution of the football program. Did you know...Camp Randall was actually a training site for Union soldiers during the American Civil War. It was great to see a "Blueboy" fully outfitted. Our kids recognized the significance of their mascot and the role it played in our country's history.

So now I am sitting in a hotel in Appleton, WI. In about 20 minutes we'll be heading to the Golden Corral. The GC is a great football eating establishment! Every D3 coach knows that on Friday night they serve steaks and the players love it!

We're excited about tomorrow's game at Lawrence University!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment